Dear Korean,
What is the prevalence of depression among Koreans?
White Hispanic Chica
Dear White Hispanic Chica,
THANK YOU for asking a question that takes less than 10 minutes to find an answer for. It has been so long.
According to this article at Herald Business News, in 2007 Health Insurance Review & Assessment Service (a quasi-governmental body, because Korea is miles ahead of the U.S. in providing nationalized health insurance) estimated that 2.5 percent of all Koreans (roughly around 1.2 million people) suffered from depression, and only around half of them received treatment. However, psychiatrists of Korea estimate that 10 percent of all Koreans have "depression at the level where treatment is necessary."
While the estimate sounds a little high, it is not totally unreasonable. Because many Koreans still maintain the attitude that depression is not a real illness, it is likely that depression is not fully diagnosed in Korea. Also, especially with Korean males, depression may manifest itself as alcoholism, evading diagnosis.
Recently there have been campaigns to raise awareness for depression, terming it "the cold of the mind." Such campaigns are slowly turning the public perception in Korea around, but there is still a long way to go.
Got a question or a comment for the Korean? Email away at askakorean@hotmail.com.
Rabu, 14 Januari 2009
Langganan:
Posting Komentar (Atom)
Popular Posts
-
Dear Korean, I have been watching Korean dramas and there is something I noticed. When someone is not feeling well, they will use a needle t...
-
Oh boy: The African American community in Dallas has been protesting a gas station run by a Korean-born U.S. citizen in a predominately blac...
-
[See Part I here.] This is Part II of the translation of Mr. Joo Seong-Ha's account of North Korean soccer history and analysis. -----...
-
Dear Korean, How do Korean guys reconcile the wife-beater rep with images like that of the guy in " My Sassy Girl "? My cousin lov...
-
Dear Korean, I'm guessing I'm the bajillionist person to ask this, but just in case... I saw this news article today, and find it v...
-
. . .that sooner or later, big law firms will get their revenge for allowing their associates to have a Christmas break, and a super-sized l...
-
Dear Korean, Since I arrived in Korea, I have wondered about the national obsession for cute things. I know of no other place where grown me...
-
Dear Korean, I am a KA, and I run a somewhat successful business doing IT consulting and have thought about trying to go international with ...
-
. . . that rain means slower traffic. Must-read piece on how East Asian Studies scholars in the U.S. attempted to silence Iris Chang, author...
-
The memorial near Sandy Hook Elementary School ( source ) Regular readers of this blog are probably well-acquainted with the Korean's av...
Blog Archive
-
▼
2009
(143)
-
▼
Januari
(15)
- Ask a Korean! News: Super Bowl 2009
- Ask a Korean! Wiki: Visiting Korea
- Ask a Korean! News: Racism Starts Early
- Korean Last Name Series: Gyeongju Son
- Ask a Korean! News: Don't Let the American Bedbugs...
- Ask a Korean! News: New York Times Finally Catches...
- Depression Among Koreans
- What? A Korean American wrote a play about the con...
- Tragedy: the Korean's favorite Korean restaurant i...
- Ask a Korean! Wiki: Korean Fashion
- The Korean is not touching this topic with a 10-fo...
- FAN DEATH IS REAL
- Based on implicit association test, Korean college...
- Ask a Korean! News: Ongoing with Conversation with...
- Two interesting New York Times articles about Kore...
-
▼
Januari
(15)
0 komentar:
Posting Komentar