New York Times had an interesting article about how Americans talk about race, and how it is changing now that we will (in just four days!) have a black president.
The most interesting part of the article was the idea of "strategic colorblindness": the idea that white people "can be so uncomfortable talking about race that they think the most sensitive approach is to avoid the subject entirely[.]" According to studies, "whites, including children as young as 10, may attempt to avoid talking about race with blacks, or even acknowledging racial differences, so as not to appear prejudiced."
In other words, New York Times just figured out what the Korean figured out more than two years ago when he started the Ask a Korean! -- Americans, especially white people, have become afraid of talking about race. Thus, the Korean stated in his profile: "Interests: Giving honest answers to racial questions. The Civil Rights Movement has been so successful that people now have become completely AFRAID to ask legitimate questions concerning race. This only perpetuates misunderstanding between races. The Korean is here to fix that."
Keep it up, NYT. Maybe someday, your publication may become as successful as AAK! :)
Got a question or a comment for the Korean? Email away at askakorean@hotmail.com.
Jumat, 16 Januari 2009
Langganan:
Posting Komentar (Atom)
Popular Posts
-
Dear Korean, I have been watching Korean dramas and there is something I noticed. When someone is not feeling well, they will use a needle t...
-
Oh boy: The African American community in Dallas has been protesting a gas station run by a Korean-born U.S. citizen in a predominately blac...
-
[See Part I here.] This is Part II of the translation of Mr. Joo Seong-Ha's account of North Korean soccer history and analysis. -----...
-
. . .that sooner or later, big law firms will get their revenge for allowing their associates to have a Christmas break, and a super-sized l...
-
Dear Korean, I am a KA, and I run a somewhat successful business doing IT consulting and have thought about trying to go international with ...
-
Dear Korean, Since I arrived in Korea, I have wondered about the national obsession for cute things. I know of no other place where grown me...
-
Dear Korean, I'm guessing I'm the bajillionist person to ask this, but just in case... I saw this news article today, and find it v...
-
. . . that rain means slower traffic. Must-read piece on how East Asian Studies scholars in the U.S. attempted to silence Iris Chang, author...
-
The memorial near Sandy Hook Elementary School ( source ) Regular readers of this blog are probably well-acquainted with the Korean's av...
-
Another series in the New York Times that the Korean has been following carefully is Relative Choices , a blog dedicated to the topic of ado...
Blog Archive
-
▼
2009
(143)
-
▼
Januari
(15)
- Ask a Korean! News: Super Bowl 2009
- Ask a Korean! Wiki: Visiting Korea
- Ask a Korean! News: Racism Starts Early
- Korean Last Name Series: Gyeongju Son
- Ask a Korean! News: Don't Let the American Bedbugs...
- Ask a Korean! News: New York Times Finally Catches...
- Depression Among Koreans
- What? A Korean American wrote a play about the con...
- Tragedy: the Korean's favorite Korean restaurant i...
- Ask a Korean! Wiki: Korean Fashion
- The Korean is not touching this topic with a 10-fo...
- FAN DEATH IS REAL
- Based on implicit association test, Korean college...
- Ask a Korean! News: Ongoing with Conversation with...
- Two interesting New York Times articles about Kore...
-
▼
Januari
(15)
0 komentar:
Posting Komentar