The documentary film “63 Years On” will be shown at a free screening at Jogyesa Temple Theatre on Sunday, December 4th 2011. this is an opportunity for both the Korean and International communities to further engage with the ‘Comfort women’ issue and to support the continuing fight for justice. A brief Question & Answer session will take place after the film, an opportunity for those who wish to share their thoughts on the film and ask any questions to members of the House of Sharing’s International Outreach Team.
In this film, award-winning Korean director Kim Dong Won presents the harrowing experiences of 5 international survivors of Japanese Military Sexual Slavery during World War II. The very personal telling of their experiences is supported by excellent research and archival footage to create a powerfully honest, determined, and often heartbreaking documentary. While this gripping film may evoke great sadness and anger, the bravery displayed will truly inspire all who see it.
The House of Sharing’s International Outreach Team works to raise awareness of the issue of Japanese military sexual slavery during World War II and to support the survivors, called Halmoni, in their on-going struggle for historical reconciliation and justice. The team is composed of both foreign and local volunteers who lead English tours to the House of Sharing and the onsite Museum of Sexual Slavery by the Japanese Military. The House of Sharing’s International Outreach Team also works to highlight continuing crimes against humanity, including the form of sexual violence during war and international sexual trafficking, that women and children across the world continue to experience on a daily basis.
This screening provides a window to an episode of Asian and International history which has been willfully ignored by so many for more than 63 years. You are invited to join the House of Sharing and show your support to the survivors who continue the fight for justice.
Got a question or a comment for the Korean? Email away at askakorean@gmail.com.
Jumat, 02 Desember 2011
Langganan:
Posting Komentar (Atom)
Popular Posts
-
Dear Korean, I have been watching Korean dramas and there is something I noticed. When someone is not feeling well, they will use a needle t...
-
Oh boy: The African American community in Dallas has been protesting a gas station run by a Korean-born U.S. citizen in a predominately blac...
-
[See Part I here.] This is Part II of the translation of Mr. Joo Seong-Ha's account of North Korean soccer history and analysis. -----...
-
. . .that sooner or later, big law firms will get their revenge for allowing their associates to have a Christmas break, and a super-sized l...
-
Dear Korean, I am a KA, and I run a somewhat successful business doing IT consulting and have thought about trying to go international with ...
-
Dear Korean, I am looking for a recipe for a Korean soup that's got a clear broth and is made with turnips. Do you know what I am talkin...
-
Dear Korean, Since I arrived in Korea, I have wondered about the national obsession for cute things. I know of no other place where grown me...
-
Dear Korean, I'm guessing I'm the bajillionist person to ask this, but just in case... I saw this news article today, and find it v...
-
. . . that rain means slower traffic. Must-read piece on how East Asian Studies scholars in the U.S. attempted to silence Iris Chang, author...
-
The memorial near Sandy Hook Elementary School ( source ) Regular readers of this blog are probably well-acquainted with the Korean's av...
Blog Archive
-
▼
2011
(294)
-
▼
Desember
(24)
- Most Popular AAK! Posts of 2011
- Kim Jong-Il's Death -- Assorted North Korea Questions
- Best of the Worst 2011
- Kim Jong-Il's Death - Under-Appreciated Points to ...
- Kim Jong-Il's Death -- More Articles from Joo Seon...
- Kim Jong-Il's Death - Summary of Articles by Mr. J...
- Merry Christmas
- Kim Jong-Il's Death - The Korean's Thoughts
- Still Traveling, Sorry
- Kim Jong-Il is dead
- 1000th Wednesday Protest, and Lies about Comfort W...
- Happiness, Success and Michael Jordan
- Ask a Korean! Wiki: Korean Schools Around Dallas?
- Ask a Korean! News: 1000th Wednesday Protest, and ...
- Questions from Jangheung High School! (Part 3)
- Ask a Korean! News: Seoul Public Schools to Phase ...
- Ask a Korean! News: Korea's Impending Population C...
- Questions from Jangheung High School! (Part 2)
- Questions from Jangheung High School! (Part 1)
- Recent Spate of Crimes by USFK
- Ask a Korean! News: "The Blinking Red Light on Nor...
- Cleaning the Classroom
- AAK! PSA: Free Screening of "63 Years On"
- Ask a Korean! News: "Journalism" in North Korea (P...
-
▼
Desember
(24)

0 komentar:
Posting Komentar