Super Bowl is once again here. As a person with sworn allegiance to all Los Angeles sports (except college sports -- according to the rules of sports fandom, the Korean must follow the college he attended,) the Korean demands to Commissioner Roger Goodell once again:
BRING AN NFL FRANCHISE TO LOS ANGELES!! An NFL franchise in Los Angeles would do a lot more good for spreading football to the world than 10,000 New England Patriots exhibition games in China. (The idea was canned in favor of an NFL game in London, but that muddy shitfest between Miami Dolphins and New York Giants did even less to spread football to the world.)
Ask A Korean! is a blog devoted to topics of culture and immigration, but as Will Leitch of Deadspin.com said, Super Bowl is for sports tourists. So Ask A Korean! will make its annual foray into making a Super Bowl pick.
Now, New England is a prohibitive favorite of this match. They are 18-0, the perfect record fitting a team for the ages, with the glamourous quarterback who made it his mission to create a race of beautiful people for the future. On the other hand, New Jersey Giants look overmatched. Its star TE is injured for the season (the Korean was actually at the Giants stadium when Shockey went down), and its miraculous streak of 8 wins in a row in away games has to end at some point. Plus, its QB's defining moment of youth is going antique shopping with his mom.
However, the highly scientific guide of the Korean begs to differ. The Korean actually dreamt last night that Giants won the Super Bowl. The Korean was not even thinking about football as he went to sleep; he has no particular allegiance to the Giants, despite the fact that he currently lives only 20 minutes away from Meadowlands. This has to be a sign. The dream prominently featured the scoreboard, and that shall be the Korean's pick.
Giants 27, Patriots 20.
Let the hate mails begin.
Last year's pick: Colts 24, Bears 21
Last year's result: Colts 29, Bears 17
-EDIT: Feb. 4, 2008 8:24 a.m.- My goodness, what a game that was. The Korean loves it when he is right. Giants 17, Patriots 14.
-EDIT: Feb. 4, 2008 11:43 a.m.- Best reaction belongs to the Korean Father, with whom the Korean had this exchange before the game:
KF: Did you know today was the Super Bowl?
TK: Yes, I'm at a party to watch it.
KF: I'm watching it now too. Where is NE? Nebraska?
All the more reason to bring an NFL franchise to Los Angeles.
Got a question or a comment for the Korean? Email away at askakorean@hotmail.com.
Jumat, 01 Februari 2008
Langganan:
Posting Komentar (Atom)
Popular Posts
-
Dear Korean, I have been watching Korean dramas and there is something I noticed. When someone is not feeling well, they will use a needle t...
-
Oh boy: The African American community in Dallas has been protesting a gas station run by a Korean-born U.S. citizen in a predominately blac...
-
[See Part I here.] This is Part II of the translation of Mr. Joo Seong-Ha's account of North Korean soccer history and analysis. -----...
-
. . .that sooner or later, big law firms will get their revenge for allowing their associates to have a Christmas break, and a super-sized l...
-
Dear Korean, I am a KA, and I run a somewhat successful business doing IT consulting and have thought about trying to go international with ...
-
Dear Korean, Since I arrived in Korea, I have wondered about the national obsession for cute things. I know of no other place where grown me...
-
Dear Korean, I'm guessing I'm the bajillionist person to ask this, but just in case... I saw this news article today, and find it v...
-
. . . that rain means slower traffic. Must-read piece on how East Asian Studies scholars in the U.S. attempted to silence Iris Chang, author...
-
The memorial near Sandy Hook Elementary School ( source ) Regular readers of this blog are probably well-acquainted with the Korean's av...
-
Another series in the New York Times that the Korean has been following carefully is Relative Choices , a blog dedicated to the topic of ado...
Blog Archive
-
▼
2008
(181)
-
▼
Februari
(11)
- Oh, and the Korean is hoping that everyone is foll...
- New York Times article today talks about how some ...
- Help the Korean Destroy a Family
- LA Times had an article about something that all o...
- This week at work for the Korean looks really bad....
- Discussion Topic: Authenticity
- The Korean saw a Life cereal ad on TV that feature...
- Oh, and happy Lunar New Year everyone. Just don't ...
- Ask A Korean! News: Pandas in Super Bowl Ad? Sound...
- Korean Funeral Tradition
- Ask A Korean! News: Super Bowl 2008
-
▼
Februari
(11)
0 komentar:
Posting Komentar