Today is August 15 in lunar calendar, which makes it Chuseok in Korea. Chuseok is essentially a harvest festival, and the traditional food is songpyeon, a half-moon shaped rice cake with sweet stuffing inside.
For most Koreans, chuseok is remembered as a time for traffic jam, as most people in Seoul who are not from Seoul return to their hometown in their cars. The Korean's trip to the Korean Family's hometown, a breezy 1.5 hour drive in most cases, becames an epic 6 hour journey during chuseok.
Got a question or comment for the Korean? Email away at askakorean@hotmail.com.
Sabtu, 22 September 2007
Langganan:
Posting Komentar (Atom)
Popular Posts
-
Dear Korean, I have been watching Korean dramas and there is something I noticed. When someone is not feeling well, they will use a needle t...
-
Oh boy: The African American community in Dallas has been protesting a gas station run by a Korean-born U.S. citizen in a predominately blac...
-
[See Part I here.] This is Part II of the translation of Mr. Joo Seong-Ha's account of North Korean soccer history and analysis. -----...
-
. . .that sooner or later, big law firms will get their revenge for allowing their associates to have a Christmas break, and a super-sized l...
-
Dear Korean, I am a KA, and I run a somewhat successful business doing IT consulting and have thought about trying to go international with ...
-
Dear Korean, I am looking for a recipe for a Korean soup that's got a clear broth and is made with turnips. Do you know what I am talkin...
-
Dear Korean, Since I arrived in Korea, I have wondered about the national obsession for cute things. I know of no other place where grown me...
-
Dear Korean, I'm guessing I'm the bajillionist person to ask this, but just in case... I saw this news article today, and find it v...
-
. . . that rain means slower traffic. Must-read piece on how East Asian Studies scholars in the U.S. attempted to silence Iris Chang, author...
-
The memorial near Sandy Hook Elementary School ( source ) Regular readers of this blog are probably well-acquainted with the Korean's av...
0 komentar:
Posting Komentar